How do I love thee.... October 23, 2014

How Do I Love Thee? (Sonnet 43)

Elizabeth Barrett Browning, 1806 - 1861
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use in my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose With my lost saints. 
I love thee with the breath, Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose, I shall but love thee better after death.



All of us have probably learned this poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning at some point during our school years. It's amazing how words can impact, and stand the test of time. Written back in 1806, it has been quoted over a multitude of times, for varying relationships around the world. Written as a romantic poem, from the Time of the Romantic movement, it has meanings that could apply spiritually, as well. 

I want to count the ways that God is love ....

He has been there for me --- has stood the test of time. He has added grace, through harsh and turbulent times--through long hours of the night when sleep would not come.

Christ has loved me freely and purely -- through trials, IV's, and tests. And then, the purest
moments, pleasant and good -- blessed and joyous. 


Gratitude of seeing new life. Babies tiny fingers curl around mine, breathe in powdery smells, newborn hair brushing my cheek -- savouring... Ah! "Let the little children come to me.... unless you become like children, you will never enter Heaven...children were brought to Him to be blessed..." So much to be learned from the little ones.


I have felt His presence when surrounded by the enemy, discouragements, loss of friends. Even the uncertainties of tomorrow, cannot make me lose my faith as I look into -- an assuring face that calms, soothes and brings PEACE! The width and breadth and height that your love fills, completes, seals - it is almost too much to take in; but 'tis there for me -- to comfort, cherish and cling to. 


To love with such passion -- such abandonment is what we all desire in life. But it can only come with significant intensity -- when life has been lived, experienced, and overcome --when one has lost self, ambition and pretence. Hitting the deep lows, grief, and sadness, then emerging on the other side into sunrise -- when shadows lift, withdraw--leaving light, joy, and delight. 

How do I love thee - there are too many ways to count. The journey is a myriad of experiences -- but all, with your hand in mine. You know everything about my infancy, youth, and middle adulthood -- giant strides in growth and strength, and the less channeled short-comings and disappointments in my sinful nature -- YET-- You love me still! On the mountain tops, and in the valleys... You keep my feet from slipping, sliding, and falling into voids which are deep and dark. Your strength invigorates me to the heights which explode within my chest. Breath exhales.... then, vibrates with wonderful worship of your Holiness, and Magnificence. My heart sings --

Joy of joy..
Hope of hope...
Love of love...
Into my life, much has come
Much has gone.

Blessed to be a blessing

Given to give out.
My heart is overrun;
Gifts-- family, friends, 
Senses, experiences...

Withering, weathering, drying..

Exposure to harsh, heat, and humanity. 
Running the race - striving, preserving 
Til' that day -- we rise to the skies,
In the sweet by and by.

This bounty, extravagance, forgiveness
From the Creator's Hands.
This circle of life --
Prepares us for a place, where tears are no more.
Sorrow and death no longer keep us bound. Eternity-the prize.

Chemotherapy today -- each Wednesday, another down -- four to go. Busy day at the clinic - tiny spaces, beautiful people, and sweet sharing. Laughter for the moment, nurses bustling in and out, with flows of conversation -- the small room feels warm, and friendly. God is there! Counts in, and C125 is down to 6.1. Each drop is a victory -- all glory is God's. People praying, working, allow God's healing to be known! 
Yes, how do I love thee - King of Kings, Prince of Peace, and Compassionate Healer -- who took the sins of the world upon Himself?
I love thee completely, absolutely, and wholly. I stand before You naked, childlike, and exposed to Your will. May it also be mine -- 


"The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;                                                       
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure." 
You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
Psalms 16:5-9,11



3 comments:

  1. Catching up on your posts since seeing your parents last week. David and I are standing with you in prayer and also praise for all He has given. His love is indeed "better than life"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your family are continually in our prayers. We rejoice with you at each new victory.
    Love from your family at Sears Church of God

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen,
    So appreciate your blog!! What an encouragement for us!!! Also many thanks for the Email you sent to Pastor Gary - which he shared with us!!!
    May God Bless you and keep you, and let His face shine on you!!!!!
    Love and Prayers

    ReplyDelete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com